Congrats on your registration for the online Shirodhara Class!
|1. Download manual HERE|
|2. Download Dosha Assessment Sheet HERE|
|2. Watch Videos (below)|
|3. Access the exclusive FaceBook Group HERE|
|4. Practice, practice, practice|
|5. Email us to schedule 15 minute consult with Narayani HERE|
Benefits/Contraindications of Shirodhara
(Below pages are from The Ajara Ayurveda Manual)
Shirodhara is meant for eliminating diseases of head and vata disorders affecting neck, eyes, ears, nose and nervous system. It is a curative as well as rejuvenating process as it eliminates diseases, improves vitality, and strengthens sensory organs. It helps to relieve insomnia, stress, tension, anxiety, anger, chronic headaches, rheumatism, hypertension, asthma, hair thinning, loss or premature graying, and gives mental relaxation. Shirodhara helps to overcome stress and its ill effects on the nervous system. It is indi- cated in cases of depression, epilepsy, paralysis, and Parkinson’s disease.
Though shirodhara is generally a safe treatment, there are instances where it is not beneficial. Because shirodhara causes the energy in the body to move in an upward direction (udana vayu), it is important not to use it when energy should be directed in a downward flow (apana vayu). For example:
- Third trimester in pregnancy
- Being under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Brain tumors
It is also important to be aware of conditions where a calming treatment would not be indicated:
- Lethargy due to high Kapha
- Very low blood pressure
- Severe debility
- Extremely high vata where the client is unable to sit still.
- Shirodhara would not be tolerated by such an individual The following conditions may be exacerbated by shirodhara:
- Rashes of the face, neck or scalp
- Recent facial or scalp surgery
- High aversion to oil
Table Set up Prep:
- 2 rolled hand towels
- Neck roll wash cloth
- Plastic strip
- Flat (old) towel for head to lay on
- Warmed Oil. Warm in mason jar in crock pot high to 110 degrees. Or use shiro set up system.
- Third eye oil
- Hand rag
- Set up table. Place rolled towels under plastic strip under sheets. Place towels in position next to the head on each side with the bottom of the V facing the head of the table and leave it open at the bottom V point about the diameter of the back of the head.
- Prep oil
- Support client in laying down
- Begin with invocation/ Drop in to awareness
- Cover eyes with cold washcloth folded or handmade eye pad with rosewater.
- Fill the pot with the warmed oil. (110 degrees approx.) Position the shirodhara pot over the center of the her forehead near the hairline. Make sure the tap on the pot is off.
- Place your finger over the hole where the oil will drip out of. Position the pot with your finger under it hole. Guide it to be over the center of the client’s forehead. MAKE SURE SHIRO STAND SUPPORTS THIS POSITION BEFORE LETTING GO OF POT.
- Let drip rest here for 10-40 minutes. Vata-longer. Kapha-shorter.
After 10-40 minutes:
- Hold finger over shiro pot hole.
- Close hole valve (If it is applicable) and move pot to side.
- Grab a large hand towel. Slowly make contact with head and mindfully wrap with towel for warmth.
- Bow and thank her silently.
- Leave the room for 5 minutes
- Re‐enter the room. The client may be asleep. Let her know you are there by removing the towel rolls from the sides of her head. Straighten out the vinyl strip and remove the washcloth from her eyes. Now you can talk to her and ask her how she is feeling. Have her lift the head so you may remove the towel roll and vinyl strip. Set the vinyl strip in the pitcher until you are ready for clean up. Use the large towel under her head to help absorb the rest of the oil out of the hair.
- Take 5 drops of essential oil into your palm. Spray some rosewater into the oil and close your palms together. Hold your hands just above the clients’ face and encourage them to inhale deeply. As they exhale, apply the mixture avoiding eye area.
- Do Marma Face points. First with oil dotting. Then hold each point. Do each point from chin to crown and then repeat the sequence (see chart below and video)
9. Let the oil run onto their forehead. Take the oil very slowly around their hairline in order to coat the entire scalp. End with the oil on the third eye. Let it rest there. Make sure the oil is not touching the washcloth or it will start to run into their eyes. You may ask if the oil temperature is comfortable only at the beginning, but otherwise do not do any talking.
10. Continue with Face/Treatment
I suggest you practice 10 times before charging clients
May this info be of service to you, your clients and ultimately help manifest greater healing for our world in these times.
Love and Light~